Dean, College of Business, Leadership, and Ethics
Viterbo University (www.viterbo.edu) is accepting nominations and applications for the position of Dean, College of Business, Leadership, and Ethics. The Dean of the college serves as its chief academic and administrative officer and is directly responsible to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Dean has specific responsibility for planning and development of college curriculum, policies, and procedures to meet the current and long-range needs of the faculty and student body that align with the mission and vision of Viterbo University. The Dean is responsible for the interpretation and implementation of the academic regulations of the college. The Dean oversees the Dahl School of Business, the Center for Professional Learning and The DB Reinhart Center for Ethics in Leadership. The Dahl School of Business offers ACBSP accredited undergraduate programs, an MBA, an online Healthcare Leadership MBA, a Masters of Arts in Servant Leadership and a Doctorate of Ethical Leadership.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the chief academic and administrative officer for the college.
- Determines the activities required to achieve the goals of the college and assigns responsibility and authority to perform these activities according to an established sequence or schedule; establishes criteria and procedures to assure that the college and its members are fulfilling assigned responsibilities in a manner within accepted policies of the university.
- Provides leadership and promotes competence within the faculty of the college; creates conditions conducive to the improvement of instruction and scholarly research; develops and utilizes a communications system to assure information exchange; harmonizes conflicting demands, standards and overlapping of functions arising in the administration of academic departments or divisions.
- Oversees recruitment, selection, promotion, and retention of faculty; supervises faculty teaching loads; supervises rank and tenure; ensures that a high level of instruction is achieved and maintained.
- Coordinates programs and courses offered and makes innovations to policy and regulation in consultation with various stakeholders; initiates programs for the improvement of the curriculum and promotes innovative programs of instruction and study.
- Provides a formal link of communications between the college and other parts of the university; serves as a member on Cabinet and Deans; actively participates with other branches of the university in curriculum reform, student recruiting efforts and improved registration processes.
- Prepares and administers the budget for the college including faculty salaries, staff salaries, and all instructional and operational expenses; coordinates and oversees operational budgets of academic departments and divisions; negotiates salary adjustments in collaboration with HR and makes recommendations about salaries to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Institutional Effectiveness.
- Ensures the operational welfare of the college, including scheduling of classes, supervision of staff and general office functions; interviews and selects individuals for staff position in cooperation with the university personnel office.
- Represents the college in professional associations, accrediting agencies, government bodies, foundations, and the business community; sponsors faculty participation with various local professional organizations.
- Engages in fund raising functions external to the university and identifies potential sources of revenue for the university through contacts with government, foundations, the local business community, and alumni groups.
The selected candidate must have an earned doctorate or terminal degree; a record of relevant, progressively responsible academic administrative experience; documented dedication to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion; ability to embrace and articulate Viterbo’s mission as a private, Catholic Franciscan university; and must be authorized to work in the United States.
Viterbo University is located in beautiful La Crosse, Wisconsin, a city with a population of 52,000 in a metropolitan area of over 150,000, amid majestic bluffs and scenic valleys on the Mississippi River. Founded in 1890 by the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration (FSPA), Viterbo is a Catholic, Franciscan university in the liberal arts tradition. In 1937 the name was changed to Viterbo College and in 2000 to Viterbo University. Viterbo has a total of 2,457 students with an 11:1 student-to-faculty ratio, state-of-the-art facilities, and a faculty that cares deeply about the success of each and every student. Offering over 40 bachelor’s degree majors, 9 master’s degrees, and 3 doctorates, the University’s programs include health and human services, performing arts, education, business, and servant leadership.
Viterbo University is being assisted by the search firm Hyatt-Fennell, Executive Search Plus. Nominations and application materials should be submitted to Cheryl Hyatt at email@example.com. Applications will include a letter of interest, a current résumé/cv, and contact information for five professional references. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should be submitted by June 23, 2023, to receive full consideration. All applications and nominations will be considered highly confidential.
Viterbo University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages nominations and candidacy of historically underrepresented groups.
Interested in this position?