Assumption University (www.assumption.edu) seeks nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the D’Amour College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (DCLAS). The Dean DCLAS is the intellectual and administrative leader of that College. The Dean reports to the Provost and serves, together with the Deans of Business, Graduate and Professional Studies, Nursing, and Physician Assistant Studies and Health Professions, as a member of the Deans’ Council.
The Dean is responsible for:
- embedding, communicating, and promoting the mission of Assumption University within and throughout the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences;
- establishing, sharing, and implementing a vision for the College;
- promoting academic excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, and throughout the curriculum and for all academic programs within the College;
- leading collaboratively always prioritizing the education, advancement, and welfare of students; and
- creating and sustaining a positive and inclusive work environment for faculty, staff, and administrators within the College.
Assumption University, located in Worcester, MA, is a comprehensive, Catholic liberal arts institution sponsored by the Augustinians of the Assumption. “We awaken in students a sense of wonder, discovery, and purpose, forming graduates known for their intellectual seriousness, thoughtful citizenship, and devotion to the common good.” Assumption’s curricular and co-curricular programs provide students with an education that shapes their souls, forms them intellectually, and prepares them for meaningful careers. The University is a diverse community that welcomes different points of view and embraces all who share their mission. Enlivened by the Catholic affirmation of the harmony of faith and reason and by the pursuit of the truth in the company of friends, an Assumption education transforms the minds and hearts of students.
ROLE OF THE DEAN: In company with a dedicated group of faculty, engaged in outstanding scholarship and practice that aligns with Assumption University’s mission, and staff, students, and alumni, the Dean will play an integral role in helping Assumption University build upon its distinctive strengths, enhance its academic excellence, and secure its position as a comprehensive institution of higher education.
Specific duties of the Dean of the D’Amour College of Liberal Arts and Sciences include:
- Providing visionary leadership for the D’Amour College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in line with the mission and vision of the University;
- Serving as a spokesperson and advocate for the D’Amour College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to the senior administration;
- Fostering a culture of academic excellence, collaboration, and commitment to continuous improvement;
- Leading diversity initiatives in the D’Amour College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in the areas of hiring and inclusion; and
- Collaborating with Institutional Advancement to cultivate new and existing funding sources for the College.
QUALIFICATIONS: The next Dean must be willing to contribute actively to the mission of Assumption as well as show respect for the Catholic and Assumptionist identity of the University; have an earned doctorate (or terminal degree); a track record of innovative, energetic, and collaborative leadership; a commitment to academic excellence; superb management, planning, and financial skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as outstanding listening skills; and a demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity, across students, faculty, and staff.
Assumption University is being assisted by the partners of Hyatt-Fennell. Nominations and application materials should be submitted to assumption@Hyatt-Fennell.com. Applications include a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, and contact information for five professional references. All applications and nominations will be considered highly confidential. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Assumption University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Assumption favors diversity, ecumenically welcomes all who share its goals, and strongly encourages applicants from underrepresented racial minorities to apply.