Chatham University (www.chatham.edu) is accepting nominations and applications for the position of a Director of Green Buildings & Energy Systems at its groundbreaking Eden Hall Campus for the Falk School of Sustainability and the Environment (Falk School). Chatham is seeking candidates who bring experience both in professional practice and in the classroom so they can bridge key functions within Eden Hall’s living and learning laboratory.
This position will add to Chatham’s mission “to prepare students to build lives of purpose, value and fulfilling work…by preparing graduates to be informed and engaged citizens in their communities; to recognize and respect the diversity of culture, identity, and opinion; and to live sustainably.” Building on this mission, Chatham is committed to creating a supportive and inclusive living, learning and working environment for all members of the campus community.
Chatham University strives to promote a campus environment that understands and embraces multiculturalism while increasing individuals’ intercultural competence. We actively work to build and sustain a diverse and culturally vibrant campus, which promotes employee and student success and retention.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director will oversee operations and research related to buildings, energy & wastewater systems, advise on new building projects, as well as oversee general facilities management, and related procurement at Eden Hall Campus, including line supervision for the Eden Hall Facilities Department. The Director will facilitate related work with partners, while also teaching in an interdisciplinary and applied environment.
The ideal candidate will have systemic knowledge and experience with buildings/campuses, sustainable design related to the performance of a variety of sustainable buildings and energy systems, along with experiential education models They will bring specialized training and skills in an area such as green building operations, renewable energy engineering, sustainable design, or related fields.
This is a 12-month administrative faculty appointment with responsibility for 6-9 credits of teaching per academic year plus additional support for the Falk School faculty in collaborative teaching and research. Renewal and promotion follow Chatham standards for administrative faculty.
- Professional Practice: At least three to five years of experience overseeing elements of the built environment, with an emphasis on sustainable practices, the daily operations and performance of green buildings, renewable energy systems or related systems, in a commercial or other institutional setting, including experience overseeing staff, equipment, procurement, and budgets.
- Teaching: Experience teaching within academic or workforce training programs in both classroom and practice-based settings, in areas related to sustainability and the built environment.
- Academic Training: Graduate-level academic degree in a relevant field including, but not limited to, green building design or operation, renewable energy, electrical, civil or mechanical engineering, material science, business administration, or architecture.
- Experience with both graduate and undergraduate teaching, as well as student mentorship and supervision.
- Experience and strengths in diverse community engagements and partnerships, including collaborative project management.
- Knowledge of social justice issues related to the built environment and energy systems from either professional training or practical experience.
- Successful fundraising and grant-funded project management experience.
How to Apply:
Application materials should be submitted via www.chatham.edu/careers. Applications should include:
- Letter of interest addressing the qualifications of the position
- Current résumé/cv
- Contact information for three professional references
Letter of interest, resume, and references should be uploaded at the same time at the time of application and should be submitted in separate documents.
Chatham University is being assisted by the partners of Hyatt – Fennell. Nominations and inquiries should be submitted via email to Chatham@hyatt-fennell.com.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. All applications and nominations will be considered highly confidential.
Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. Persons of color, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. Chatham University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, or national origin.