St. Thomas University (www.stu.edu) invites applications for the position of Director of Human Resources. Reporting to the Executive Vice President for Administrative Affairs, the Director of HR is a member of the President’s Cabinet and a direct resource to the president, executive vice president, and cabinet members.
Located in Miami Gardens, Florida, St. Thomas is a Catholic university with rich cultural and international diversity committed to the academic and professional success of its students who become ethical leaders in the global community. STU has 24 Undergraduate Majors, 21 Graduate Majors, 7 Doctoral Programs and 1 Professional Program (Law) in four colleges: Gus Machado College of Business; College of Health Sciences & Technology; Biscayne College and College of Law. STU has 25 varsity teams as part of a robust and competitive Athletics department.
This position serves as the Human Resource Director for the University and provides leadership and strategic direction through the management of a comprehensive HR administration and staff including:
- recruitment and employment services
- employee relations
- training and organizational development
- salary range administration and employee evaluation
- benefits management
- payroll and records management
- personnel policy development and interpretation
- human resource information systems
- telecommunications operations
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In conjunction with the President and Executive Vice President, complete and execute a strategic plan for human resources in support of the University mission, vision, and strategic plan. Provide executive guidance and direction on human resource related issues.
- Lead, manage, and direct staff in support of the administrative and staff recruitment processes, applicant tracking system, screening, and hiring process, on-boarding, and assisting department managers as required. Ensure timely Paycom implementation in support of the above.
- Ensure consistent and equitable application of policies and procedures, and maintain university’s compliance with appropriate local, state and federal regulations and laws for personnel and payroll laws. Formulate and recommend related policy as appropriate.
- Maintain an effective performance management program that supports the university’s strategic plan.
- Maintain a comprehensive benefits program and constantly monitor alternatives that might improve coverage and/or prove more cost effective.
- Create and maintain a comfortable, confidential counseling environment for employees.
- Evaluate systems, make recommendations for change, and implement new programs.
- Analyze data and develop reports on human resource related issues including, but not necessarily limited to benefits, staffing and compensation.
- Monitor independent contractor positions for compliance with IRS laws.
- Develop training and organizational development programs as needed. Particular emphasis placed on service, technology and management development-oriented programs.
- Provide guidance to university department managers on human resource related issues as required.
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in a related area (master’s preferred); a minimum of seven years of progressively responsible human resource management experience (higher ed experience preferred); knowledge of local, state, and federal personnel and payroll laws and regulations; outstanding leadership and management skills; and demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with all constituents of a diverse university community. Experience with HRIS and related computer systems, with knowledge of Colleague and Paycom referred. Strong computation and analytical skills required to perform research and analysis. The ability to plan departmental goals and budget and manage funds in support of approved goals; the ability to organize and direct major work projects. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal and strong supervisory and organizational skills with ability to manage and develop staff. The Director of HR works regularly with confidential information requiring discretion and integrity.
St. Thomas University is being assisted by the search firm of Hyatt-Fennell, Executive Search. Submit application materials to STU@hyatt-fennell.com. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a letter of interest, a current resumé/CV, and contact information for three professional references. All applications and nominations will be considered highly confidential.