The holiday season can leave us frazzled. With countless holiday concerts, a never-ending list of things to buy, and the importance of spending time with family, it can be easy to get lost in the rush. In the midst of your obligations to others, don’t forget about your commitment to yourself and your future. The end of the year is an important time to look back at all you’ve done and consider what lies ahead. The most successful professionals establish rhythms of reflection. Set aside an hour or two, brew yourself a warm beverage, curl up in a cozy spot, and spend some time asking yourself these questions:
- What were my biggest accomplishments of this year?
- What was the biggest surprise of this year?
- What challenges did this year bring?
- How did my response show growth?
- How can my response to challenges continue to improve?
- What habits or practices are holding me back?
- What professional aspirations have I been putting off?
- What additional resources (training, collaborators, equipment) do I need to grow?
You can garner valuable lessons through an annual retrospective. Allow your reflections to build from year to year by using a dedicated notebook or file on your computer. With some intentionality, you can make the most of what you’ve learned this year to make 2023 an exceptional year, both professionally and personally.